Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Odds and Ends

Well it's really been a B-E-A-U-ti-ful summer here! I know you had to suffer through listening to me rag about the summer that wasn't last year, but that's not the case this year.

This southern girl is loving it!

We had a nice little stretch of 80's and a few 90's, with only one or two sweltering nights. I have had four upstairs and one downstairs window open for about a month. I run a fan out my upstairs bedroom to draft out the hot air. I did have to pull a second window on the Firebird's small bedroom. He is on the ell, with a bank of three windows facing east. Those hot sunny days his room was quite toasty by noon.
 (even by my mid-atlantic standards )
Tonight it is about 60 or less outside. The mosquitos are horrible still, now we are having a hatch of the micro ones that welted both Codeman and I tonight walking the goats along the stream.

We have been having a lot of fun with a cheap blow up raft, paddling up the pond and using it as a swimming launch to shore, one paddling and the other jumping in and swimming to shore and back, usually almost swamping the boat. Lots of fun when it's in the 70;s and 80's. :D

The Firebird scored two soccer goals and I missed it!!!! UGH!!!! We were running behind schedule (mercury retrograde) and I dropped him off and dashed off to run some errands. These summer soccers games run to almost dark and then a half hour home..Anyhow, I knew as soon as I arrived at the field he had scored a goal. He was playing with the freshmen, and a couple of his own grade he has had a year playing with now... and they were a fine honed machine.

The Firebird was playing center mid, his small fast freshmen ahead of him-pasing back and forth dominating the field, him setting them up for was a lovely thing to see, his confidence and leadership. :)  They won the first 2-1, Firebird both goals,(which I missed) and the won the second game against different opponents.

The third game they went to change fields, and the Willow and I gathered our chairs and dutifully followed, and the Firebird disappeared.  We were playing two teams, and I thought I spotted him at another field, so we dragged everything over there, and then he wasn't there.

We stood in the crosssection of four fields looking back and forth, wondering if he had gone to the loo? (which none of them EVER do no matter how many gallons of liquids they consume...)and then a couple parents started waving at us. I looked and looked and tried to see if he was on bench behind her, wondering, "Where the heck did he go?"

Finally one of them took pity on me and came over and told me that the Firebird and her son were playing for the other team -who was short players- and they had put on red vests.  HAHA! As soon as he put on red he disappeared in my eyes!!! Like a chameleon!  At least a hundred kids on four fields and I was looking for royal blue-he put on red and vanished.

Well, that was fun! Our two boys playing for the other team! And it was to the other team's (who was already quite good) advantage, since it was our two senior best players! Who obviously had to try very hard for the other team so the team knew there was no funny business! And very challenging for the boys not to pass to their own team mates in reflex. I think a few times they had fun skunking their teamates, though!

That team won the game, so the Firebird was 3 for three that night, very sweet.

Last night they played home with the whole lot of them, I counted 27! We had wicked (that's slang for terrible, awesome, amazing, pronounced, wick-hed)weather earlier, fast moving thunderstorms dumping rain. I kept waiting for the text cancelling the game, but these darn soccer coaches ain't no sissys, let me tell you.

The thunderheads and anvils and blowing their tops, and then dark clouds underneath...several lightning strikes and finally the ref blew the whistles, saying, "Ok, I saw that one," have them all sit in the open field on the bench while it passed.  Well, it was to our south,(but just over the tre tops at the far edge of the field south) and I hadn't seen any green...(not a good sign, means take shelter NOW) but lots of yellow...

Yup, I just heard tonight that cell spawned a TORNADO a mere 15 miles away. The weatherman said, "oh, it was a F0, 50-60 mph winds, -only 20 yards wide and .2 miles long.*la-te-da*

and I was thinking, that's 60 feet wide and 800 feet long...would of made a big dent in that field, I tell you what.

I don't remember if we won or lost last night. But we did finish the game after it went by. 

Just call me Cissy. ;)

No comments: