Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Porcupines

 

Did you know that porcupines only have one baby per birthing?

I saw this Momma climbing my big elm and went out to take a pic of her.  Imagine my surprise when I saw-and heard-baby following Mom up the very tall tree.  

 The elm goes at least 50 feet before it forks off.  Baby whimpered and made little baby noises.  I prayed I wasn't going to see it fall.  By the time it made it to the first fork, Mom was in the branches eating either leaves or seeds.  

 

I think it must have been seeds because I have much shorter elms that have leaves.  OR maybe Mom was teaching baby how to climb big trees in addition to finding supper.

 

I like porcupines.  I have a few stories involving porcupines, most that include dogs.

 I had a Mom and baby here two years ago that I loved to see, then Mom got run over up the hill and her body lay in the middle of the road.  I was disgusted neighbors were just driving by, so I went up with a shovel and broom  and moved her off the road.  

A day or two later I was taking a walk and found baby cowering in a rock pile not far away.  I was very sad.  I have seen and heard of baby porcupines who linger near their dead Moms.  They follow them everywhere so no wonder they are lost when she won't get up ever again.


Fingers crossed this family survives the road- and the year round open season (no limit) on this amazing native.

 

 

No comments: