Friday, December 5, 2008


Yuck. I crawled under the house and put in the last two posts under the center beam. The chainsaw started right up and ran great.

I smashed my right hand (in a heavy leather glove) a good one moving the utility pole for the cut. Somehow I caught the hand between the post and the stump as I was swinging it onto a log for the cut. I thought I broke my hand. I just have a big bruise on the third knuckle at the top of the hand now, and it is a little tender but not broken.

The first post went in nice and tight and level. Still, I was covered in old dirt and sprinkled with fiberglass bits from the insulation in the floor under which I was working. Nevermind reeking of creosote and chainsaw exhaust.

The second post was just a tad short, so I had to fiddle with the rock footer. Then it didn't go in quite flush, but it is a big beast and it was a good as I could get it.

I decided to quit on the posts. The Southeast corner post seems pretty solid on the last beam, and that can be reached from the outside. Only trouble is the ground is frozen,-good enough excuse to leave bracing that beam until spring.

Then I decided to drop some trees in the goat pen. I hayed the goats in the near pen first so they wouldn't get in the way. I dropped out a clump of maples that had been girdled. Cricket came down to check it out-twice. When I shut off the saw, she and her little Anna circled the downed trees maaing questioningly. "Where are the leaves?"

Sorry, you'll have to be happy with the bark and buds, dear. Feeling sorry for her, I tossed another flake of hay over the fence. She is low goat on the totem pole and needs an extra flake so she can eat in peace.

Oh yeah, I stink chainsaw gas, creosote, and other goodies. I am trying to motivate to wash up. I wish the house was a bit warmer-colder today with more cold tonight and maybe snow Sunday.

I dug the Christmas boxes out yesterday and Willow put all the house stuff around. She is bugging me to make the wreaths and garlands. So that is next on the list, as one wreath will be mailed to Florida and I want to get it on the way soon.

Hmmm wash before or after the sticky pine sap? :P


Wood Mouse said...

Two stroke petrol and creosote, that's my kind of perfume

tree ocean said...

well, I am all washed now! Much better! Procrastinating the wreaths for Sunday since I won't make the mornings post anyhow. :D

Velvet Ginger said...

I hope your hand is ok, I admire you for posting your journals...I don't have the guts to "put it out" there in public!
I admire your courage and hard work.