Sunday, October 2, 2011

Long time no post

My computer problems progressed to the point that if my modem was connected to the phone line, even with the computer disconnected from a power source, the land line had dead air.

So I gave my internet up for lost, relying on my cell phone for limited browser access. Try typing out an email on your cell phone when you are already exceeding 1000 texts a month!

And after my little power struggle with blogger and google over refusing to hand over a mobile number I wasn't going to log into this account on my cell phone, sorry! :D

Somehow, someway, I have been granted a reprieve from the malicious computer spirits and once again have my computer back online.

I really really want to go to New York this week for the film festival. Just to do something fun and glamourous. But that's not happening.

I am house sitting for a friend for the week, and the Firebird turns the big 14. He is really doing well in high school. His soccer team has been doing absolutely awful, but finally at an away game the Firebird scored one of three goals and was promoted up to the JV team. Now he is playing both Freshman and JV games.

I got lost in Waterville trying to find the last one to no avail. The games are a lot further away than in middle school. :)

I quit the farm. Over horse bedding. Seriously, I can't believe it either. The horses have a big concrete floored three sided shelter with a sand based paddock. The younger of the two has been diagnosed with wobbles, a neurological condition that affects the gait and hind end. The Older mare is grossly overweight and has notorious hoof trouble, mostly aggravated by inexperienced help digging between the sole and hoof wall with a pointed hoof pick.

The mare came down lame in the front end-I found an old wind splint but was fairy sure she was having trouble with a knee. This was duly reported to Boss who just shrugged.

The next day I put down a bit of extra shavings and felt satisfied. But there is more to this story. One of my co-workers, the apprentice, only wants a dusting of bedding on the concrete to make it easier for her to clean. So we tend to have this little silent power struggle over it. Because I know as I know horses that horses on concrete should have 12 inches of shavings plus a rubber mat, espcially if they have any kind of leg trouble.

And it should be banked against the walls so they don't cast themselves. (get stuck)

So years ago I was sort of shocked that at the farm they put 3 inches of shavings in the middle and bare on the edges. So when the horses walk in and turn around they spread it down to an inch.

The day I worked I had about an even five inches, which cushioned my feet but I knew it would still seem hard on the legs of those big Norwegian Fjords.

And I got "a note" from Boss Sunday morning.
"Please don't put so much bedding down in the horse barn."

And I returned the note with an explanation, that 5" inches was really the minimum given the overweight lame mare, and I didn't feel comfortable putting down 1-3 inches.

Oh boy. Well, it turns out even though I said I would do what she wanted, since I didn't feel comfortable maybe I should go...

and I thought and said, "so basically you don't want anyone working for you that does not agree with you?"

and that was a yes.

That hurt but I wasn't getting much job satisfaction except from all my animal friends anyhow.

I went right into freelancing at Common Ground Farm, sponsored by Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association. (MOFGA)

All week I helped a friend prep his food for CG. I ground hundreds of pounds of chickpeas, and ground garlic and hot peppers and made taziki with yogurts made right out of organic jersey milk, and can I tell you how good a cup of Starbuck's Italian roast tastes with the yellow cream skimmed off a five gallon bucket of Jersey milk ?

I just wanted to take a straw and sip it off the top, lol.

Then it was time to make the dough. Hundreds of pounds of flour. 10 pounds at a time in the mixer and the cutter turns out 30 doughballs. 5 or 6000 of them for the whole weekend.

I was out of retirement.

I 3/8 inch diced a five gallon bucket of cucumbers. I inch cubed 50 gallons of lettuce and spinach. I got to run the stove.

he he

The falafel mastermind's claim to fame are the wood cookstoves that get hauled to every show. The dough balls get run through a roller, formerly the rollers to old wringer washers, which was quite the show and threw flour across everyone working the stand.

once flattened, the dough gets put on the middle flattop of a hot kitchen stove, and once precooked, put over the open flame where they "poof" and char and are called"wood fired flatbread". Very yum.

The fresh bread is then filled with falafel, fried ground chicpeas, or gyro..ground beef , lamb, goat..

Well, they have a lot of stuff they put on there, obviously including lettuce and cucumbers, but I was in the bakery end of things for the weekend.

Phish blasted through the speakers, the owner's son being a fan and he also grew up at the stove and bread end himself- since the family has been doing this for almost 20 years now.

I found my groove with the stove while he put the new electric roller through its paces. Boom boom bread! boom boom bread! hahah

These sorts of jobs are transitional; I am considering going back to cooking now that the saplings are a little older.


*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Thats to bad about the farm and their horses! Hope your PC problems are solved. I now have a 15 yr old and TWO 14 yr olds...Its so sad they are getting so tall and old....Lol Glad to see you back though!How are you feeling? With all your thyroid stuff?

Dave said...

Glad to see you back again and hope you're well.

BTW, I see your quitting the farm to be less about horse bedding than about the ethical and humane treatment of the animals. Good for you.