Thursday, August 6, 2020

Post Climax

Maybe it begins with the aftermath of the Full Moon in Aquarius-which fell in the beginning of the week. Endings and Beginnings, Beginnings and Endings.

The height of summer here in central midcoast Maine was swept clean by a sideswipe of the Hurricane- Tropical Storm- Tropical Depression- whose only amusing attriubute was listening to a never ending parade of anchors and weather persons attempting to pronounce the unpronouncible.

I struggled myself, even though as far back as when it was threatening Florida I repeated the name three times in a row correctly, coached by the WIlow on the other couch.

SHe, being a true millenial, was stout in the defense and with cultural pride in the fact that a hurricane finally had a name with some culture-and anyone's inability to pronounce same would surely be an indication of some sort of cultural ignorance and possibly even be a determination of potential racism. *shudders*

I think a lot of us stumbled on the fact that an "I" suddenly becomes an "E"-"Eeh-sah-Eee-saas. It just goes against the grain-it's like that gut reaction when someone spells "candy", "candi". 

Technically, if that rule held true, then the recently passed weather event could have been spelled,""Ysaysas"

That actually makes even more senses than the logical spelling ; "Esa-esas".

****

We did lose power late the evening it struck.  We had minimal rain and some gusty winds.  I suppose the winds were even more impressive due to the fully leafed nature of the tall trees (the leaves the caterpillars have left) and the windows being wide open due to the ambient temperatures.

The cat in the Eastern bedroom window got a bit damp.

The same instant that I shut the light in the bathroom, pitch black descended.  Usually there is quite a bit of light reduction when the bathroom light is closed, but this was utter.
"Did we just lose power?"

"Yup"

***

I dutifully called the CMP outage reporting line, a number long ago memorized by heart from repeated calling over the years.

"Due to the heavy wet snow, we are experiencing numberous outages>"

Ok, it's 70 out and the first week of August.  Way to go CMP.

I called the next morning to see if there was an update-years ago they used to give a list of towns affected-and the auto asked me, "is your power out right now?"  Ummm, yeah, I reported it last night ( I thought to myself as I dutifully pushed "1")

We did get it back late afternoon the following day.  (A note to urbanites who think 45 minutes is a long time to be down-here we regularly go for days and less than 24 hours is somewhat of a surprise)

I think the biggest inconvenience for myself was the inability to watch the morning news and see how everyone else made out.  We got off very lightly and were extremely lucky the track veered well to our west.

***

Today the air feels like late August-to anyone who grew up in a warmer climate, August in Maine  traditionally feeels cold and damp. The wind is coming out of the Northeast, and with the several mile long pond and Canada to my northeast, the air iis full of Arctic air moisture.

The hummingbirds have proliferated.  I have counted as many as six at the feeder, and they make repeated visitis to the geraniums which line the steps on the front deck.  I am sitting hthere as I type this, and just made a slew of typos (more than usual) BECASE ONE WAS ABOUT TWO FEET AWAY SLIGHTLY BELOW EYE LEVEL.  tHEY SOUND LIKE A LARGE BUMBLE BEE AS THEIR WINGS WHIR.  oops cap lock and too lazy to retype it. :P

I really should close and mix fresh hummingbird food.  I think they are starting to harass me and the feeder looks empty. I just counted six hummingbirds in the perennial border and under the fir by the feeder.

***

Gut wrenching Empathy going out to those who are suffering in the Beirut disaster


No comments: