Sunday, November 8, 2020

A lifting

The Bangor Daily News announced Biden's win late Friday, much to the chagrin of many of its right wing commenters.

By dawn yesterday my black cloud had started to dissipate-I spent the day, a glorious Indian Summer, warm, sunny day, on the roof with a bucket of black goop tediously trying to locate the multitude of cracks in the roof surface.

I found myself wishing I had a hose and nozzle like the Maine DOT when they seal road cracks- it would have been much faster and neater.

Instead it was a one inch putty knife, and if you can imagine trying to paint a room with a one inch brush you might see what I was experiencing.  Except change the paint to black goop.

Just like painting, I am a mess at roof sealing.  No matter how careful I am, I will touch it, step in it, kneel in it, and sit in it.  If I wear gloves the fingers end up getting stuck together.

I mitigate the clean up by pre treating my hands with a good-for- anything salve that I made of of beeswax and olive oil.  Then I use a rag and leftover fry grease to remove it from my hands.  I used to use olive oil for the latter, but then I realized it was a good use for oil that was going to be tossed-(or put into an oil lamp I have always wanted to try, which is why used oil is hanging around in the first place)


I think it was a good analogy for the day.  Start at the top, apply tar, and remove the residue.



 

No comments: