Wednesday, March 10, 2021

March of the Ents

 Finally here we are heading into spring.  I love the landscape this time of year.  The bright blue sky, white puffy clouds, the dark trees.  I closely examed the pussywillows and forsythia today, and didn't see much sign of life.  But I can sense it in the trees, this waking up and swelling.  They just look and smell differently this time of year, and it is the time I find myself spending long minutes staring into my woods and checking out the health of the trees.  


I am , in addition to being a wildlife advocate, a forest advocate.  I get tired of hearing that there is no old growth in Maine so therefore there is no reason to preserve forest and leave it alone to return to a natural state.  I have a feeling a lot of people don't want anyone to be able to compare a real forest to a nitpicked one.


I found this website-no, nothing listed in Maine, but I was proud to compare my Mama beech, my big elm, pines, and hemlocks-even a few of the oaks ash and maples are getting up there.

All you big tree lovers out there might enjoy browsing this website:

https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/why-oldgrowth-forests


No comments: