Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Greening Up

The trees have sprung to life, no wonder it is called spring.  One day the beech leaf casings were fluttering down like snow then the next day the whole back yard's beech grove had greened out.

It's been a race against the black flies to get things planted.  I searched the house for hours for the yellow wax bean seeds I had saved.  Or thought I saved.  I had a bumper crop last year of beautiful long pods and had let some set.  The house ghost alone knows where I put them.

I found some crummy looking ones marked 2015 and planted them in a window box since I expect poor germination.  I think those are the ones I used last year and I had maybe 5 out of 25 or more seeds come up.  I ended up transplanting the 5 and babying them and got a ton of beans off 5 plants.  Plus all the seeds I can't find.

I am hoping I get a few to come up out of the last seeds and can repeat the process this year.

I was supposed to make a town run today, but nothing critical on the list and I think I can stretch it to next week.  It is absolutely gorgeous weather and I really don't want to waste one of the remaining days of my life in town worried about getting COVID.

The state has finally increased its testing capacity with a deal with IDEX.  We were told to expect cases to go up with better detection since they dropped the requirements to get a test.  But that's not stopping them from opening full steam ahead.  Restaurants and campgrounds have been added to the kk list, but our town office is still closed go figure.

I had a nice socially distant chat with a 90+ year old neighbor whose wife went into a nursing home right before this happened.  He hasn't been allowed to visit her in weeks.  They have been married 60 years.  It makes me so sad to see him suffering when people can get their hair done or sit in a restaurant. 

Update on my vaccine comment-I have since heard that the RNA is from part of the virus, not from people's immune response.  But then Stephen COlbert had a bit on last night that cows  being used to create vaccines. Usually his stuff is rooted in truth so now I will have to go look that up.  Stay tuned.






No comments: