Friday, May 15, 2020

Yay May

Well I had a couple pics I wanted to share, but I took them on the digital camera and have no way to get them on this current machine, since it takes a micro card and the only USB is occupied with an external mouse since the touchpad crapped.

So who wanted to see a pic of WIllow's homemade General Tsao chicken (one of her specialties), jasmine rice (always) and a big heaping side of steamed dandelion greens.?

Dandelion greens are really a pain to clean, multiple rinses and picking pine needles and grass bits out-it must be the serrated leaves that tend to catch everything.  They were just ready to bloom and a little bitter, but they are chock full of vitamins and minerals and best of all, free!

The other pic was of two types of violets, tiny white ones and good sized violet ones.  They and the daffodils have been the spark of spring color on my property so far.

Things are leaping and jumping, I am feeling the strain since I don't get full sun here it is imperative I get things going early, but the cold weather created some delay this year.  I am glad I threw together a small cold frame and actually have two zucchinis just emerged so they will have a bit of a jump when I transplant them.  DItto with cauliflower and broccoli if they don't get full of cabbage moth caterpillars.

Looks like Homegirl had four squirrel "kittens" Mayday and Icharus climbed the wall (finally,) and along with number three were trying to tease number four out of the eaves. I can just imagine what they have done to the insulation.

Barn cat and kitten have been moved to the Firebird's old room.  Kitten is getting very large and Willow spends some time everyday trying to socialize it.  Not sure how an only kitten will turn out, lacking other littermates to rumble and tussle with.  Dreading the long trip to the shelter, but one good thing is a lot of shelters are empty since many people wanted to adopt while stuck at home.

I made a store run the other day.  I am not sure that some of the changes are for the better. The aisles are one way, up and down, and if you generally skip aisles you might find yourself forced to go down one to get to the one you want.  And the supposed six foot spacing at checkout has the line stretched along the front of the store, so if you come out that end of the aisle you are quite close to those in the line.

Overall, I spent more time trying to maneuver through the new set up than I would normally, less cars in the lot but it seemed more cramped.  I have avoided making the big run to the city, which requires standing for some time in line outside to gain access to one store.  Even though they have lines marked out, I don't think they took into account that people take up space, so if your lines are spaced six feet apart, people are really only four feet apart. 

WIllow asked if I actually take up two feet of depth, but you don't exactly stand like a soldier in line.

I still chat people up-now I have a captive audience haha.  One fellow about my age expressed anxiety that he couldn't breathe in his cloth mask, and coupled with waiting in line he was ready to bolt. 

And bolt he did-from the self check out next to me with a cryo packed beef tenderloin tucked under each arm.  At least some of us are eating good during the lockdown. 

Willow's making her chicken peanut lomein tonight-yum!

 Eat well, stay safe.





No comments: