Saturday, May 2, 2020

Saturday

One of homegirl's babies can't get back to the next in the eaves.  It is not really a baby, probably old enough to leave the nest, but they must go back to the nest occasionally beofre they graduate because this one is pretty distressed,  He has been hanging under the house and on the deck since yesterday,

It has tried to get in the front door several times-I am guessing it thinks it must be part of the home tree.  I was outside this morning and looked down and it was at my meet, sniffing my shoe, and I said, "Hey there" and then it climbed my leg past my knee while I was reaching for my phone to take a pick.

Needless to say I said, "hey!" wondering what it was going to do when it got to my face and it jumped down and hopped back under the deck..

The nest is a straight shot about 25 feet up and must be too much for Jr. to handle.  I tried leaning a couple boards from the deck to the side of the house, and it has climbed them but not tried the wall.

It's very distressing, there is no way I can get it back up there, and it is not a helpless baby, just a very young squirrel.  I am surprised Mom has not heard it fussing-I did from inside the house.

I did just try and call the Center for Wildlife for advice but of course they have closed for the day.  The Willow and I are hoping that it will manage somehow.  I don't dare try and catch it and put it in a tree because it might be more vulnerable to other squirrels and predators.

I did move the skirting on the opposite side of the house, where the feeder is located, hoping it might venture that way and reunite with Mom.

If it was any younger I could probably hand raise it until I could get it to a rehab, but the age it is makes me think it is weaning anyhow.

A day doesn't go by without some sort of excitement around here!


No comments: