Monday, July 6, 2020

First Week of Joly

Our extremely dry June ended with a big recovery for rainfall totals.  We have had rain, drizzle and fog off and on for over a week.

Snow in May, drought and 90's in June, and July looks like it will be moldy and a slugfest.

I actually lit a small fire in the wood stove last night to drive the chill out of my feet.

The June blooms faded quickly in the dry heat, the sweet briar climbing the electric pole in the garden started to put on its best show ever, but the delicate blossoms succumbed quickly to the rain.

I was sitting outside reading a couple of days ago during a spot of sunshine, and stopped to let my senses drink in my surroundings.

The vireos and warbler families were flitting through the under story that flanks the lawn; other birds were filling the air with song.

The lacy white blossoms of the yarrow patches were hitting their stride.  Other flowers in season: the pale pink 5 petaled wild roses in the blackberry hedge, the black (or brown) eyed Susans, Asian bellflowers, foxglove, butter and eggs, and every variety of clover including the white sweet clover throughout the lawn.

I love having clover in the lawn and walking barefoot-as long as I watch out for the honey bees-because when I reach my destination I will look down and find clover blossoms stuck between my toes.

The two zucchini plants are coming on strong, the small day old fruits making a welcome addition to stir fries and the huge orange blossoms complementing the yellow in the rudebeckia behind it.

The broccoli goes in the stir fries as well, it's been bolting in the heat and every day yields another handful of tiny blossomed out broccoli heads for the fry pan.

The wild or Indian strawberries that have been battling for domination against the moneywort(whose yellow star shaped blossoms which give it its name are also coming on) in the lower garden actually fruited this year.  I had two pickings of about a cup each time.  Since each berry  is smaller than the size of your pinky nail or a pencil eraser, it takes many berries to make a cup!

But they are worth crawling around on hands and knees brushing aside the large leaves, searching for a glint of red, occasionally brushing against the lemon balm-or Sweet Melissa- that has gone feral in the lower garden as well. Hoping not to come across one of the garter snakes that like to hunt for frogs in the undergrowth or accidentally crush a slimy slug under foot or knee.

 The tiny berries have a much more intense flavor than commercial berries.  Mixed with a little sugar to draw out the juice, then served over ladyfingers and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it's summer heaven on Earth.

I usually make plain scones and whip heavy cream to make strawberry shortcake, but the delicate texture of ladyfingers seemed more appropriate for the tiny delights.

IF only I could stick a large thumbtack in time to hold it here I would be permanently in paradise.

I would find it easy to ignore the state of the union as well as the world, safe in my cocoon of beauty.


No comments: